Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Concrete Christianity

This little old Chinese man named Timothy prayed on the mic today, interceding for Sudan. Once he was at the mic, the worship team did not dare interrupt him, heads bowed, tears came. This man was in prison for 25 years during the Cultural Revolution in China for his beliefs in God. This man used to be the janitor for Metro, the church Mike Bickle pastored prior to IHOP. He would always have candy in his cart to hand out to children.

This is what Christianity looks like concreted in a man's life. When he speaks, there is power because of his very real faith in God. Would I be able to withstand being imprisioned for 25 years for my belief. I can't say I can yet. But I hope, when I grow up, that I'll be a bit more like Timothy and less like me.

May You increase, and may I decrease.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I got to be there when Timothy prayed... I remember weeping when Allen was just talking about him. Hope all is well for you!

Alex Russ said...

ahhhh, i am so intrigued by him, i spent forever trying to figure out who he was in the prayer room. im so jealous you got to hear him pray!

Anonymous said...

Sunny,

I think I just saw you tonight on GodTV for the conference. You were great!
I'm a music teacher (teaching talented kids on their way to Julliard) here in the NYC area and wondered how you like the FMA? I have a desire to teach there someday, but for now, God has my husband and I out here on the East Coast. However, we will be visiting IHOP from Feb 17-24th and we're really looking forward to it. We've been several times before, and we can't get enough! I'm new to reading your blog, but I'm enjoying your heart and love for the Lord!

Sunny said...

Cathy...
great to meet you. we definitely need to meet up when you're in town. you're more than welcome to sit in on FMA classes and talk to the staff.

So far I love FMA. I've been through the whole public education system, so it's so refreshing yet strange to me that my teachers truly care about how I'm doing and are willing to pray with me. I'm learning so much both about the spiritual and technical aspect of music, the power of God's voice, the proclamation of His word.....I love especially our contemplative prayer class, where we learn about the desert fathers and just sit and listen to God while a teacher or student plays. hahaha i'm a fan of FMA to say the least.

I'm glad you found me. let me know if you have other questions.

Unknown said...

one word: powerful!

Anonymous said...

Sunny,

It really sounds like you enjoy FMA! We'll definitely hook up when I get to town. My husband will be talking politics with Brent Steeno for a bit, I'm sure, so I'd love to sit in on a class at FMA if that's possible. I'll keep in touch and let you know when I arrive. Thanks, so much!