Thursday, January 25, 2007

Hear ye, Hear Ye

my old definition of "art kids": pretentious, supah creative, liberal, non-Christians

These were the kids I wanted to kick it with back in Chicago, but never really seem to be able to intermingle with that crowd. Hm...dunno why. Maybe it's cause my belief just don't jive with them? I think it just wasn't the season.

Since arriving here at IHOP I've met Heather, a gifted photographer and passionate lover of God. She has really changed my perspective and shed hope on God's purpose and plans for artists. She feels strongly and is interceding for God to redeem the arts.

If any of you have ever been on a college campus, you'll know why that is such a major concern. The artsy kids have the most hardened hearts toward God and are way difficult, to reach with the gospel. This observation has always made me super sad mainly because they are exercising God's nature, creativity and beauty. Also on top of that, they're cool and I want to see thier pretty souls saved.

Seeing Heather's heart and her own testimony of going to SVA in New York City, evangelizing and bringing her classmates to Christ has totally stoked my spirit. God IS going to wash not only music, but art as well to be pure and glorify Him again!

God has been speaking to me through FMA's teaching. I've been re-evaluating what I "behold." Since we transform into what we behold daily, ("And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit" 2 Corinthians 3:18) I've been trying to remove secular avenues I traverse to spur on my creativity (i.e. magazines, movies, music). With that in mind, I'm so blessed to know Heather and be inspired by her faith and her works. Many times after our conversations, I feel pumped to write songs again. So....with that exciting stuff in mind, I'd like to invite you all to.......


:: ART GALLERY ::
This weekend (Friday and Saturday from 2pm-8pm) my friend Heather Ballis is hosting a gallery at her house: 11300 Bales Ave
It's really easy to get to from IHOP. Just turn right on Askew when exiting from IHOP's prayer room. Then take a right on Bridge Manor, then left on Bales Ave.

Christian artists, inspired by our creative God will be showing their works and performing songs (Saturday). We'll do some intercession for the redemption of art, Q & A with the artists. I'll be performing some songs on Saturday as well. So if you guys are at all interested, please come! If you have any questions email me-sunnyhu7@gmail.com

samples of Heather's photos-
these series of photos are titled "Details reveal clues" due to how God revealed to Heather that God notice the detail beauty of things and not how we as human perceive the world.







random poem I used to really enjoy and teach:

To The Young Who Want To Die
By: Gwendolyn Brooks

Sit down. Inhale. Exhale.
The gun will wait. The lake will wait.
The tall gall in the small seductive vial
will wait will wait:
will wait a week: will wait through April.
You do not have to die this certain day.
Death will abide, will pamper your postponement.
I assure you death will wait. Death has
a lot of time. Death can
attend to you tomorrow. Or next week. Death is
just down the street; is most obliging neighbor;
can meet you any moment.
You need not die today.
Stay here—through pout or pain or peskyness.
Stay here. See what the news is going to be tomorrow.

Graves grow no green that you can use.
Remember, green’s your color. You are Spring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked that poem :) I really enjoy having you in class with me and I really admire your heart and your desire in doing this!! It's awesome! Keep going girl!

R.G. said...

those photos are breathtaking!!